Saturday, December 20, 2008

Latest Finds/Purchases

WOW!! 2 posts in one day-this almost doubles my previous blogging efforts. I figured what the hell, I am on a roll let's go ahead and put another one up. This wil be a little more brief and definately more to the point.

A couple of weeks ago I made a trip to a couple of Kansas City area comic stores. The trip served a double purpose. Obviously I was looking to fill in some holes in my collection, but I was also 'celebrating' the end of the semester and sucessfully making it through 3 more classes.

Visited a couple of stores I had been to before (Clint's, Be-Bop) one that had a name change (Be-Bop South formally 1,000,000 Comix) and one store I had never been to before (Pop Culture Comix). Overall it was a nice trip and I did manage to find a couple of books I was looking for and one I didn't realize that I needed/wanted, but went ahead and picked up anyway.












GREEN LANTERN #19-Got in on this title late and should have known better. Love most of what Johns writes, but was never a big Hal Jordan fan so I got the first arcs and then let this title fall under my radar. I was drawn back with the Sinestro Corps storyline and it prompted me to fill in the missing issues. Finding them was pretty easy except for this one book. I did find it at the first shop we stopped at, but passed due to the $10 price. At the last store it was still on the shelf for cover price. Needless to say I grabbed this pretty quickly.
FLASH #289-This was the one I didn't realize/plan on purchasing. I was thumbing through the backissue bins and stumbled across it. I had this book back in the day when it was new and loved it mainly due to the villains-Dr. Alchemy and Mr. Element. Oh yeah it also featured a Firestorm backup story by George Perez, of course this was before I was really into comics and recognized Perez for the master that he is. Seeing it in the bin it just spoke to me and I knew I would be taking it home with me. Especially for the paltry sum of $3.00. A small price to pay for Perez's first artwork for DC Comics! Just need to find out how many Firestorm's he did and amend my list.
AVENGERS #196-Another book on my NEED LIST. After several cons and no luck finding this one I had almost given up on it. I like searching out the first appearances of various characters that I like and this one belongs to the Taskmaster. Or at least that is what I thought. According to the cover it is "introducing the threacherous Taskmaster." A quick scan of the priceguides, however, show his first appearance in #195. This is probably one of those times when a character appears in the very last panel of a book setting up his big debut in the next issue. Oh well, I have his first cover appearance and even had I bought #195 first I would still be searching for this one, so one done one to go. This one also features pencil art by Perez (Wow are you starting to sense a pattern?) and, at least to me, was a steal at $4.00. Now just need to run across that debut panel.

2 comments:

mwf6171 said...

Yeah, thanks for coming and seeing me that weekend...........bastich!!!

Rod said...

So there IS a NEED list!!! I knew it!!!

You need to share brother!! (in best Desmond voice) :D